Studies Controls Manager
Location: Brisbane CBD & Inner Suburbs
Company: CMTE Development Limited
$100,000 – $119,999
Mining3 is a world-leading research organisation, directed by its global mining industry members to develop and deliver transformational technology to improve the productivity, sustainability, and safety of the mining industry.
Our world-class researchers and engineers develop tangible solutions to industry-identified challenges using both fundamental and applied research while leveraging our extensive history and acquired knowledge.
By bringing industry and research expertise together, we collaboratively accelerate the delivery of real-world solutions from our research, ensuring they are available to the market as rapidly and effectively as possible.
Mining3’s culture is diverse (people, skills and experience) and one of collaboration, open engagement with stakeholders (internal and external), enthusiasm, out-of-the box thinking and solutioning, and excellence driven through scientific rigour, hard work and respecting each other. Mining3 is a family of highly skilled, innovative thinkers and doers.
- Drive Innovation – constructively & respectfully challenge, question and improve technology and innovation solutions
- Invest in Strategic Partnerships – openly collaborate, leverage strengths, and know that together, we are stronger
- Demonstrate Expertise, Excellence and Rigour – thrive on challenges, exceed expectations in all we do
- Work with Passion – be enthusiastic and passionate in all we do and how it contributes to the mining industry
- Build Collegial Relationships – openly collaborate, support, respect and acknowledge each other, always
- Sustainable Business Model – commercially viable, responsive to industry, and socially & environmentally responsible
Mining3 has a unique opportunity for a Studies Control Manager. This is a newly created role within the organisation and affords the right individual with an opportunity to help define and develop the role from the ground up. The role reports to the Chief Operating Officer of Mining3.
The selected individual will be engaged with, and actively manage, the planning, tracking, and reporting of the research studies within the Mining3 portfolio relative to the study breakdown structure (SBS) and each study’s on-going delivery and health (budget, resources, time, delays, progress, and achievements towards deliverables). The role also provides the right individual with an opportunity to develop the Mining3 Studies Management standards and protocol as well as provide on-going training and mentoring to the core research team to ensure best practice relative to studies governance.
It is important to note that – this is not an EPCM role or a Capital Projects PCM (project controls manager) role. These are fundamental research studies most closely aligned with desktop, conceptual, and pre-feasibility studies.
What You Will Be Involved In
- Act as an owner for the studies management tool Mavenlink [link removed] for all things Study Management including ensuring standardised process alignment, reporting, and utilisation across the team.
- Develop and maintain the Mining3 Studies and Project Management Manual, creating a standardised method of planning, executing, reporting and closing Mining3 Research Studies, to be used by all Mining3 researchers.
- Act as an owner to ensure the standardisation of the Mining3 Study Plan, schedule, SBS, budget and associated documentation/templates.
- Support the development of research studies’ Study Breakdown Structures (SBS) and Cost Breakdown Structures (CBS), schedules and resource planning, as basis for Study budgeting, cost control and forecasting.
- Coach and Mentor Project Leaders and project team members on Study Management fundamentals, best practice and expectations.
- For targeted studies across the portfolio, pro-actively engage with project leaders, technology leaders, and work area leaders to manage, track, monitor and report multiple study milestones, activities, spend, delays, progress, etc.
- Ensure that Master Study Schedules, budgetary reporting and resource demand and supply planning process/requirement(s) are up to date and generate management reports.
- Coordinate with Program Directors to schedule and organise study health and technical reviews.
- Communicate overall portfolio study health with Project Leaders and within Programs (to Program Directors and to the COO) with first line accountability for same to COO.
- Provide regular financial reports to the company Financial Manager.
Your values align with Mining3’s values and culture.
You are a self-motivated and capable (with hands-on proven, direct experience) as a Studies Controls Manager and very familiar with Research Studies governance (heavily preferred).
You are looking for an opportunity to demonstrate your experience working in a cutting edge, mining innovation and technology research group.
You know the difference between research studies and capital project studies, how they differ and why.
You have in-depth experience in topics such as SBS and WBS development, planning/ scheduling, earned value management, cost control, forecasting, cost, and schedule analysis, etc.
You fully understand step-by-step detailed processes and guidance for every stage of research studies and research projects.
You are a master multi-tasker, extremely organised and efficient with the ability to positively engage and excite those you work with to influence and guide them towards open collaboration and ‘buy in’ of the studies controls and management philosophies and requirements of Mining3.
You are a “doer” who wants to work directly with people, and you prefer hands-on engagement and accountability with and to your stakeholders.
You are a team player and are a people person who can work well with a diverse professional team comprised of multi-disciplinary engineers and academics with varied educational levels and experience who are from many different cultures and backgrounds.
You communicate exceptionally well, positively, constructively, and effectively, with the ability to guide and influence stakeholders at all levels, presenting directions and information in an appropriate format to address various audiences.
You have a background in Mining and/or Mining Research and/or Engineering, with Study or Project Controls experience; preferably with mining related research studies and pre-commercialisation projects.
Ideally, you have an undergraduate or Master of Science in Engineering or Study/Project Management with 5+ years of direct experience in the mining industry.
Not Required but Highly Desirable: Recognised and qualified project management credentials and/or a demonstrated depth of capability through hands-on experience.
Want to know more?
For more information about this exciting opportunity or to obtain the full position description, please contact Ray Nelson at [email protected] [link removed].
Salary and Benefits
This is a full time, continuing appointment. The full time equivalent base salary for this position is commensurate with qualifications and experience with a target range of $100,264-$112,583 per annum plus superannuation.
Right now is an exciting time to join our team as we deliver ground-breaking innovations that have significantly improved industry profitability, productivity and safety for over 30 years. Find out more about Mining3 at https://Mining3.com [link removed]
Be a part of something big. Apply today to register your interest by sending your resume and cover letter (no more than two pages), outlining how your experience meets the duties, responsibilities and applicant qualities highlighted above and in the Position Description.
Please submit your application via email to Ray Nelson r[email protected] [link removed] by COB Monday 4 October 2021.
Our Commitment to Diversity
Mining3 values diversity and inclusion and actively encourages applications from those who bring diversity to our organisation. Please let us know if you require additional support.