Senior Research Technician
Job Location: Brisbane CBD & Inner Suburbs
Employer: The University of Queensland
plus 17% superannuation
- HEW 5
- Fixed-term position for 1 year
- Closing date 21 December 2021 (R-03514)
About This Opportunity
This opportunity will engage a Research Assistant within an established research group engaged in the study of cancer biology in the epithelial system. The Lab is currently exploring cell-cell communications through mechanical forces, or mechanobiology using high resolution microscopy in both mammalian cell cultures and zebrafish models.
The research support includes maintaining epithelial tissue culture cell lines and established zebrafish lines, basic molecular biology, biochemistry, and fluorescence microscopy.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Plan and conduct laboratory work within an established research group
- Supporting scientific research staff: under the guidance of experienced post-doctoral researchers to achieve a well-defined set of project goals.
- Tissue culture and cell line maintenance
- Thorough recording of results in notebook.
- Standard procedures in zebrafish involving performing genetic crosses, collecting zebrafish embryos, screening zebrafish embryos for transgene expression using basic fluorescence microscopes.
- Standard procedures in biochemistry such as SDS-PAGE and Western blot.
- Performing general laboratory duties including monitoring lab consumables, aliquoting common reagents, making up common stock solutions.
This role is subject to The University’s Code of Conduct.
- Bachelor of Science
- Good organisational skills, ability to plan and conduct work
- Commitment to conducting experiments
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues
- Ability to take instructions and receive feedback in a fast paced and high-pressure environment.
- Well organised with thorough attention to detail in the recording of research methods and results
- Commitment to upholding the University’s values, and with the outstanding personal qualities of openness, respectfulness and integrity
- B. Sc. Honours degree
- Laboratory experience in tissue culture, molecular biology, and biochemistry
- Zebrafish handling
- Fluorescence microscopy
What We Can Offer
This is a Full-Time, 100% FTE Fixed-Term position through to 31 December 2022 at HEW 5.
The full-time equivalent base salary will be in the range $70,796.58 – $78,852.96 plus super of up to %. The total FTE package will be in the range $82,832.00 – $92,257.96 per annum.
For further information about UQ’s benefits, please visit Why Work at UQ and review The University of Queensland’s Enterprise Bargaining Agreement 2018 – 2021.
To discuss this role please contact Professor Alpha Yap via email [email protected].
For application queries, please contact [email protected] stating the job reference number in the subject line.
Want to Apply?
All applicants must supply the following documents:
- Cover letter addressing the ‘About You’ section
About The Selection Process
To satisfy pre-requisite questions and ensure your application can be considered in full, all candidates must apply via the UQ Careers portal by the job closing deadline or will not be accepted.
The University of Queensland is committed to ensuring all candidates are provided with the opportunity to attend the panel interviews, however, for those candidates who are unable to attend in person, video interview options will be available.
Work Rights: You must have unrestricted work rights in Australia for the duration of this appointment to apply. Visa sponsorship is not available for this appointment.
Background Checks: All final applicants for this position may be asked to consent to a criminal record check. Please note that people with criminal records are not automatically barred from applying for this position. Each application will be considered on its merits.
We value diversity and inclusion, and actively encourage applications from those who bring diversity to the University. Our Diversity and Inclusion webpage contains further information if you require additional support. Accessibility requirements and/or adjustments can be directed to [email protected].
If you are a current employee of the University, or hold an unpaid or affiliate appointment with the University, please login to your staff Workday account and visit the internal careers board to apply for this opportunity. Please do NOT apply via the external job board.