Senior Building Surveyor
Job Location: Newcastle, Maitland & Hunter
Organization: Lake Macquarie City Council
$98,373 – $102,139 per annum + 12% superannuation
Permanent, Full Time
Join our team, advance your career, and contribute to amazing development outcomes for our community!
- Career defining leadership opportunity to mentor and guide a team of professionals with a proactive customer focus
- Enjoy a greater workplace experience with flexible hours including a nine-day fortnight
- Industry leading 12% superannuation, excellent benefits, plus a leaseback vehicle
LET’S EXPLORE THE JOB
Our Building team are seeking a highly driven, passionate, customer and team focused Senior Building Surveyor to join our progressive Development Assessment and Certification department.
With an appetite for growth and a passion for connectivity with our customers you will lead a team of motivated assessing officers who manage a high volume of development applications, construction certificate applications and complying development certificate applications.
You will apply your highly specialised expertise to undertake registered certifier functions on behalf of Council, and be involved in the complex assessment and determination of a diverse range of development applications and construction applications, shaping a supportive and collaborative team environment.
Your other key focus areas include;
- Train, mentor, performance manage, supervise staff, participate in performance and development plans and recruitment processes
- Coordination of day to day operations and function of the work teams along with involvement in the preparation and review of Council policies under the direction of the Section Manager – Building.
- Investigate and resolve compliance and regulatory matters on behalf of Council.
- Facilitate mediation between Council and any affected parties and provide on-going support and direction to staff as required.
- Provide prompt specialist and technical advice and opinions, (written and verbal), to Councillors, and both internal and external stakeholders.
- Represent Council in Court and on various committees, panels and conferences and/or undertake special projects as requested.
Please note: A full list of accountabilities is located within the attached Position Statement.
LET’S DESCRIBE YOU
Our ideal candidate is a natural leader whose customer is at the centre of what they do. With your “how can we” attitude you take a proactive perspective on development while operating within the legal framework and in line with Council’s strategic vision. You are passionate about educating and engaging with colleagues and our community to make a difference. You are also a strong solution focused collaborator with the ability to engage stakeholders early, negotiate, and bring people along the journey with you. You have excellent analytical and problems solving skills with the ability to listen to reason, evaluate and develop highly creative and innovative solutions without compromising on integrity. Your consultative approach will assist to build capacity in our team, and develop strong relationships with our customers.
Specifically, you will have:
- Degree or Graduate Diploma in Building or other suitable qualification relevant to the field of expertise, with extensive development assessment and certification experience
- Is registered with NSW Fair Trading as a Building Surveyor restricted (all classes of buildings) in accordance with NSW Building and Development Certifiers Regulation 2020
- Extensive experience in building surveying with an appropriate level of understanding of Fire safety systems (as defined under the National Construction Code (NCC)
- A demonstrated comprehensive knowledge of the National Construction Code (NCC) and the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979 as amended, as it applies to all classes of building work
- A demonstrated ability to compile comprehensive reports, investigations and gathering of evidence for legal proceedings
- A demonstrated ability to lead and coach a team.
Please note: A full list of criteria is located within the attached Position Statement.
LET’S REVEAL THE PERKS
- Work closely with our Section Manager Building to develop and implement business improvement initiatives to ensure Lake Mac is open for business
- Competitive salary from $98,373 – $102,139 per annum
- Commencing salary set in line with skills and experience with annual reviews available to support movement through the salary range
- Leaseback vehicle
- 35-hour week with flexible working hours and nine-day fortnight
- Industry leading 12% superannuation
- Long service leave after only 5 years
- Purchase up to two weeks additional annual leave
- Paid parental leave
- We value your health and wellbeing and offer generous discounted gym memberships through our corporate fitness program, connect with colleagues through our social club, be inspired by regular wellbeing initiatives, annual flu vaccinations, and confidential support via our employee assistance (EAP) program
- Access to our education assistance program
- Career development opportunities
- Reward and recognition program
- Career break leave
- Wellbeing Leave
- Free parking within walking distance to our contemporary office building
- Ideal location with easy access to cycle or walk around the lake in lunch breaks
- Join us at an exciting time in our department’s growth and evolution to become the leading LGA of choice within the region
LET’S TALK ABOUT US
When you join us, you are not part of an organisation, you are part of a future that more than 205,000 Lake Macquarie residents depend on every day. To work here is to be connected. To be part of a true community who value creativity and collaboration, wellbeing and sustainability, opportunity and diversity. Together, we believe in shaping our own future – not waiting for it.
Lake Mac strives to be an inclusive workplace for all people. We recognise we operate in a diverse community and welcome and encourage applications from all ages and genders, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from culturally diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQ+ community, refugees and people with disability. We understand the skills and attributes veterans can bring to our Council. To find out about options for adjustment within the recruitment process, please click here.
- Applications close Midnight, Sunday 7 November 2021
- For a confidential discussion relating to the position, please contact Michael Corrigan, Section Manager Building, on 0408 202 022 or via email [email protected]
- If you require assistance submitting your application, or have any questions regarding the recruitment process please contact Georgina Green, Talent Acquisition Advisor, on 02 4921 0495 or via email [email protected]
- We are a 2021 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant
- To view the capability framework – role profile relevant to this role, please click here.
- Please note that as part of Lake Macquarie City Council’s recruitment process, prior to an offer of employment being made, recommended candidates may be subject to a medical assessment with Council’s doctor.
- After the close date, a panel will assess all applications for suitability against the essential criteria for the position. Once completed, an interview, skills assessment or task and reference checks may be undertaken. All candidates will be notified of the outcome via the email address you supply as part of your application.
- COVID-19 Candidate Update: Lake Macquarie City Council is committed to the health and safety of our valued customers, staff and community and are working in line with current public health orders and restrictions. Information is rapidly changing, and you will be updated throughout the recruitment process of any changes to the position or recruitment process, or if further information is required from you.