Robotics Software Engineer
Job Location: Perth Northern Suburbs & Joondalup
Employer: Blue Ocean Seismic Services
We are looking for a Robotics Software Engineer to contribute to the design and development of embedded command-and-control software for our in-house developed autonomous underwater drones.
Blue Ocean Seismic Services (Blue Ocean) is an innovative maritime robotics focussed technology company with significant shareholders including BP and Woodside.
Our vision is to disrupt the marine seismic industry through the development and commercialisation of a large-scale autonomous ocean bottom seismic data acquisition system, driving a step change reduction in the cost, time, HSSE risks and environmental impact associated with acquiring high quality marine seismic data.
These reductions in survey cost make ocean bottom seismic attainable to a broader range of customers including for carbon capture and storage (CCS) and offshore wind farm site survey applications. By significantly reducing the carbon footprint of seismic surveys our technology assists clients in their push towards a net-zero future.
Blue Oceanâ€™s revolutionary seismic acquisition system is based around large numbers of intelligent, long endurance, uncrewed underwater vehicles (UUVs).
These Blue Ocean developed UUVs are capable of multiple autonomous seabed repositions to allow rapid, remote repositioning of deployed seabed receiver arrays without the need to recover and redeploy by ROV. This, in combination with automated launch, recovery & handling systems, rapid deployment/recovery, and intelligent system control, allows for optimisation of seismic acquisition survey operations and removes the requirement for ROV vessel support.
We are a dynamic, friendly, diverse, and inclusive workplace and welcome all applications. We consider safety and security a priority.
We need Software Engineers who:
- Are self-driven to deliver high quality software and can meet deadlines with confidence
- Have a proactive attitude and a professional approach in working with cross-disciplinary teams
- Are excited to learn and equip themselves with new skills and technologies
- Can develop software in C++ for robotics systems
- Can analyse scientific data and implement algorithms using Python or MATLAB
- Are willing to travel domestically and internationally (<10%) within the company to support testing and trials
- Extensive working experience in C++ based software and/or embedded system products
- Proficiency in one or more scripting languages (e.g. Python, MATLAB)
- Experience in developing applications using a robotics middleware (e.g. ROS)
- Experience in integrating sensors and actuators, and implementing algorithms in a relevant topic area (e.g. navigation and control, sensing and perception, localisation and mapping, manipulator and effectors)
- Proven experience with software development life cycle and in shipping software and/or embedded-system products to customers
- Degree in Computer Science / Software Engineering / Mechatronic Engineering / Electronic Engineering or equivalent
- Experience working with a robotics simulation software (e.g. Gazebo)
- Prior participation in a robotics competition
- Experience with real-time operating systems such as FreeRTOS
- Experience implementing drivers and applications using embedded systems communication protocols (e.g. I2C, CAN, SPI, etc.)
- Experience deploying software using continuous integration/deployment (CI/CD) pipelines
- Experience with cloud-based application development (e.g. using Amazon Web Services)
- Familiarity with a Version Control System (e.g. Git)
- Ability to communicate effectively on technical subject matter