Principal Employee Relations Advisor – Integrity and Employee Relations Unit
Job Location: Brisbane CBD & Inner Suburbs
Employer: Department of Education
The Department of Education is one of the largest public sector service providers in the state of Queensland. With over 85,000 staff and 1,200 work sites spanning from the south east corner to the far north peninsula, we provide high quality education services in Queensland state schools.
You will be reporting to the Manager, providing expert technical advice and high-level consultative, representative and enterprise bargaining services to support our stakeholders. You will be partnering with the broader team and working closely with, and supporting, other advisors.
With the increase in demand for services across this specialist area there are multiple opportunities available, both permanent and temporary, to experienced professionals in this sector. These opportunities are available across two teams, the Industrial Relations & Enterprise Bargaining team and the Employee Relations team. These two core teams focus on enterprise bargaining and industrial relations services across the department, including external advocacy and representation in commissions and tribunals.
About the Role:
As the Principal Employee Relations Advisor, authoritative advice and services to senior managers and clients of the department on employee and industrial relations matters will be key. Technical expertise, mentorship, navigation of complex relationships and pivoting in your performance and delivery models will determine your success in this role.
You will be responsible for:
- Providing expert technical employee and industrial relations advice and services to executive, senior managers and clients
- Delivering high level information and advice on legislation, policies, systems and practices
- Delivering comprehensive training, coaching and support to employees and managers in relation to employee and industrial relations matters
- Leading complex consultation and negotiations representing the department at critical negotiations relating to employee and industrial relations matters including enterprise bargaining negotiations.
- Advocating for the department’s position at all hearings and tribunals
- Developing, implementing and evaluating departmental policies and procedures relating to specific IR/ER matters
- Leading and overseeing project teams, or other staff
- Developing, reviewing and reporting on initiatives, programs, policies and targeted plans relating to IR/ER matters
- Establishing and maintaining networks liaising with clients, officers from other agencies, unions and other external bodies
- Promote and monitor contemporary employee and industrial relations matters.
- You are passionate and results driven
- You adapt to changing work environments and priorities
- You support the development of others in a team setting
- You value strategy and are open to new ideas and ways of thinking
- You represent inclusivity and diversity
- You build rapport easily
- You take initiative with problem solving
- You are energetic, optimistic and resilient in your endeavours
What you can expect in return:
- Flexible working arrangements
- 12.5% superannuation
- Salary packaging
- Professional development
- Central city location
- Close to public transport
There are no mandatory requirements for the role however relevant tertiary qualifications will be well regarded.
To apply please attach the following:
- A brief resume including contact details for 2 referees (one of whom should be your current supervisor)
- A maximum 2 page summary outlining your experience addressing the key capabilities of the role and what motivated you to apply for the role.
Applications remain current for 12 months from the closing date and may be considered for appointment to identical or similar vacancies within the Department.
Applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted.
Employees affected by workplace change will be considered on merit.
This process will be used to fill a number of current permanent and temporary vacancies. Additionally, due to the upcoming holiday office closure the advert has been extended.