Life Support Worker (Disability Support)
Location: Bendigo, Goldfields & Macedon Ranges
Company: Private Advertiser
$35 – $44.99 per hour plus weekend penalty rates
A person with complex support needs, living in his own home, is seeking to employ a life support worker (Disability Support Worker) for the Thursday day shift, occasional relief shifts (including sleepover shifts). There will also be additional work over the summer covering for staff taking leave.
IMPORTANT: The supported person has a large pet dog. If you apply for this position you MUST be willing to assist him in caring for his dog.
Please read the role description below before applying. Apply by submitting a resume/CV and a cover letter. The letter should indicate what you can bring to this role. It must also acknowledge your willingness to assist with care of his dog and that you are familiar with the Bendigo area so that you can confidently support him in his community.
This is a challenging role working as part of a team and includes:
- Thursday day shift and may include sleepover and weekend shifts (penalty rates apply).
- Personal care
- Seizure support
- Household tasks, including some garden care
- Support in the community
- Driving the supported person’s car
- Occasional overnight trips and stays (once travel is safe again)
- Behaviour support for person with significant challenging behaviour
- Assistance with pet care
- Record keeping
- Occasional relief shifts
- Certificate IV in disability or at least equivalent.
- Current First Aid Level 2 & up to date CPR (HTLAID003)
- Current Victorian driver’s licence
- Clear National Police Certificate
You also need the following qualities to succeed in this role:
- Able to see and understand things from the supported person’s point of view.
- Willingness to follow direction.
- To be patient yet able to think on your feet and respond quickly.
- Willingness to explore places and ideas: to step outside your own comfort zone.
- Communicate well, in conversation and in writing with strong listening, reporting skills and advocacy.
- Attention to detail.
- Work collaboratively in a team and independently when necessary.
- Working knowledge of the Bendigo area. Knowledge of Melbourne an advantage.
Many of those who’ve succeeded in this role have had experience in roles with responsibility for decision making and leadership, and may also have varied life experience or further tertiary education.
Employment is initially on a casual basis but you may be offered permanent part-time work at a later date. You would be employed directly by the person you are supporting and answerable to the team operations manager and the supported person’s NDIS plan nominees. From time to time additional guidance may be provided by allied health professionals.
- A well supported and friendly environment.
- Specific in-house and external training as needed.
- A varied workload and the thrill of helping the boss live a full life.
- Flexible work around your other commitments.
- Remuneration and conditions at least in accordance with the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010.
The successful candidate will be required to provide a clear police check (not more than 12 months old) and complete a declaration of pre-existing injury prior to commencement.