Lead Software Engineer (Dev Team, Canberra/Melbourne)
Job Location: ACT
nstaclustr is a Canberra based Australian owned open source as-a-service company, delivering reliability at scale. We manage cutting edge open source technologies (Cassandra, Kafka, Spark, Elasticsearch) for our customers around the world. Recently, Instaclustr named in Deloitteâ€™s 2020 fast 500 companies of North America after another monumental growth year,
Since its foundation in 2013, Instaclustr has seen significant growth, with over 200 large scale and really exciting customers spread across the globe, and over 5000 servers under our management. We have offices in Australia, the USA, and Europe and employ over 220 people worldwide.
Instaclustr makes it easy for our customers to run powerful open source applications at the highest levels of scale. We have developed a platform that takes care of the whole lifecycle: provisioning infrastructure, installing applications and, most importantly, keeping the applications running reliably in production. Our customers operate 24 x7 and our business does too – our operations team is spread across the globe to provide fast, expert support and operational responses.
We’re looking for people who have a solid understanding of software engineering fundamentals with a track record of getting things done and solving problems.
As a Lead Software Engineer you’ll be responsible for leading one of the eight or so teams that make up our Development area. You’ll work with a Product Manager to set team priorities, and work with the VP of Development to plan and manage the work of your team. The team will be between 3-6 people in size, so while some of your time will be spent helping your team head in the right direction, you’ll also be hands-on with our technology and systems and will have time to do your own development. You’ll also be part of a dev leadership team, working with other lead software engineers who support one another in developing complex solutions or agreeing on the best approach to solve problems which affect everyone. Within your team you’ll be supported by a mix of junior and more experienced software engineers – typically you’ll have at least one Senior Software Engineer to help with your responsibilities.
Skills and experience required:
- Eight or more years of commercial experience and solid Computer Science/Engineering skills, e.g. concurrency, algorithms, data structures, distributed system concepts
- Experience with leading people
- An ability to understand and communicate abstract ideas and problems
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Willingness to learn new technologies
- Work confidently in Java, C#, C++ or a similar language
- Tertiary qualifications in software engineering (or related discipline)
Whatâ€™s in it for you?
Instaclustr prides itself on being a workplace of choice for all of its employees. When you join our family this is what you can expect:
- A family first environment
- Awesome social activities â€“ New starter BBQs, cook offs, bowling, Badminton etc
- Regular games nights
- Special interest social groups
- Workplace flexibility and great work-life balance
- Growing Global company
- Start-up culture
- Exciting and fast-growing industry
- Company SWAG â€“ Hoodies, t-shirt, thongs etc
- New Laptop
- Structured personal development week to undertake your own project
- Our rotation program which is a great opportunity for broadening your skills and experience by working with different people, teams, and technologies
- A well defined career model and opportunities for progression
- Phone bill allowance
- Wellness club with free fitness training sessions 3 times per week
- Wellbeing programs to nurture the body, mind and soul
Instaclustr is an equal opportunity employer. By joining us, youâ€™ll be part of an organisation that fosters diversity and inclusion. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.