Job Location: Port Hedland, Karratha & Pilbara
Employer: Fortescue Metals Group Ltd
Fortescue is now consistently producing 175-180 million tonnes of iron ore per year and has an exciting future ahead, establishing itself for future growth in a global market through innovation, product diversification and asset development.
Work Location: Remote Exploration Camps
Roster: 2 weeks on 1 week off
The perfect place to start your career in Geology. We are currently seeking multiple entry level geologist to join our world class WA Iron team. We are looking at individuals who have graduated within the last couple of years with some industry experience and are looking to join our Fortescue family or just graduated and are looking at their first role within industry. All qualified candidates will be considered.
Liaise with other FMG employees as a team and supervise relevant contractors in their role as a company representative to achieve key Performance Indicators set by corporate management. You will be heavily involved in contributing to the field-based geological aspects of the companyâ€™s strategic plan.
Duties include, but are not limited to, geological mapping, Reverse Circulation (RC) & Diamond Drill (DD) logging, drilling supervision and associated data capture, analysis and interpretation to assist in the delineation of Iron Ore mineralisation and resources. You will be required to demonstrate a commitment to your own personal technical development and safety in line with FMG policies and values. Employees must demonstrate strong analytical skills, demonstrated report writing skills and show a degree of initiative with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
Key accountabilities will include:
- Ensure that drilling contractors comply with Fortescueâ€™s Health, Safety, Environment, Heritage and QAQC sampling standards.
- You will be heavily involved in supervising and directing the drill plan as per instructions communicated to you by the project geologist.
- Undertake geological core and chip logging at the drill rig location and accurately record into an acquire data logger.
- Formulate adequate geological understanding of the mineralogical and stratigraphical aspects of the drill chips/core and various styles of mineralisation and ensure this is consistent with the project area.
- Provide guidance and support to other / new members of the geology team to ensure consistently accurate data collection and validation.
- Review previous drilling/mapping before commencing a new drill program or taking over from another geologist.
- Data entry and interpretation of collected downhole logging data on a daily basis.
- Ensure accurate recording of sample and QAQC information at the drill site and into the site database.
- Interpret gamma and geophysical data after completion of each hole.
- Maintain and update field and office cross-sections.
- Update stratigraphic summaries in Acquire and ensure these correspond with surrounding interpretation.
- Send regular (daily or EOH) briefcases to Perth Exploration Database team.
- Completing required training such as:
- Occupational First Aid
- Remote 4WD (Perth or site-based)
- Actively participate in 5-Step and Hazard reporting
- Various FMG inductions (Perth or site-based)
- Cross Cultural Awareness
Duties will include:
- Actively participate in 5-Step and Hazard reporting programs.
- Report Incidents to supervisor or HSE team within shift.
- Ensure drill contractor compliance on site.
- Read various technical papers that focus on Pilbara stratigraphy, structure and mineralising systems in order to apply and demonstrate your understanding to mapping, drill targets, regional projects and relevant technical reports.
- Collection, analysis and interpretation of historical competitor A reports for our competitor drill hole database.
- Collection and validation of field mapping data to the standard of FMG project generation team using digital mapping techniques aided by ArcGIS software.
- Prepare a high-quality, well-structured geological report with a recommendation section and if valid propose a drilling
Qualifications and skills required:
- 0 â€“ 2 year industry experience.
- Understanding of local and regional Pilbara geology
- RC Logging
- QAQC, ArcGIS, AcQuire, Leapfrog, Microsoft Office Suite, Senior First Aid, Remote 4WD course (Perth and site-based).
- BSc majoring in Geology or Earth Science.
At Fortescue, we treat our team mates as though they are family. We appreciate everyoneâ€™s contribution and know that a diverse workforce creates a safer, more engaged and productive working environment.
Our aim is to have a workforce that reflects the community in which we live, and we encourage females, Aboriginal Australians, those identifying as LGBTIQ+, people of all ages and culturally diverse backgrounds to apply for this role.