Disability Support Worker
Job Location: Brisbane CBD & Inner Suburbs
Employer: TAFE Queensland Brisbane
As a key member of the Student Support Team you will provide support and agreed reasonable adjustments to learners with a disability in vocational education and training programs in TAFE Queensland, Brisbane Region.
This position sits in the Student Support Services Team and reports to the Student Support Manager.
This position is casual and based primarily at South Bank campus however you may be required to perform work at other TAFE Queensland Brisbane region campuses.
- Contribute to the success of transformation and cultural change through promoting and modelling the established values of Commerciality, Teamwork, Innovation and Accountability.
- Live a safety culture, lead by example and support the Health Safety and Environment Management System to create a TAFE Queensland Brisbane-wide safety culture.
- Provide educational support for people with a disability as directed by the Disability Services Officer to participate in campus based industry training or similar to maximise opportunities and to build independence and ownership of outcomes. .
- Assistance with assignments (planning and organising), operating computers including general office software packages and access to facilities and technology.
- Note taking during classes, scribing in exams/assessments and/or adaptation of course materials.
- Liaise with the Disability Services Officer, delivery and administrative staff and where necessary advocate on behalf of the learner to ensure the provision of appropriate disability support services.
- Maintain an awareness of organisational facilities, support mechanisms and resources available for people with a disability.
- Maintain an awareness of contemporary practices and processes, promote learner independence, confidence, identify, and report any changing support needs of the learner.
- Maintain records, manage resources and provide feedback to the Disability Services Officer regarding each learnerâ€™s participation and engagement.
- Work both autonomously and as a member of a team to maintain a client focus in the delivery of a range of services for learners with a disability.
How you will be assessed
- Within the context of the role description above, the ideal applicant will be someone who has the following key capabilities:
- A proven track record in the supporting learners with a disability in an education and training environment to assist them to achieve their educational and industry training goals
- Demonstrated ability and current knowledge of student support practices, systems and processes including the principles of reasonable adjustment.
- Proven experience in supporting youth in an education and/or training environment including learners with a disability which may include ASD, sensory, physical and mental health needs
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to effectively contribute to the aims and practices of a customer focused team.
- Well-developed computer skills in general office applications and desirable experience with assistive technology.
Highly desirable requirements
- Experience in supporting students with a disability in an education and training environment
- Experience supporting learners with a disability which may include ASD, sensory, physical and mental health needs
- Knowledge and experience of, or ability to quickly acquire skills with Assistive Technologies
- Blue Card (criminal history checks are carried out for all new staff.
Note: Proof of Blue Card and/or qualification/certifications relevant to the role required at interview.
How to apply
Click on the â€œApplyâ€ button to submit an application. Please provide the following and quote reference number TQB21117a:
- Resume including the contact details for two referees (one of whom is your current Manager); and
- A cover letter that outlines your know skills, abilities, knowledge and experience in response to the â€œHow you will be assessedâ€ criteria above (maximum of 2 pages in total).
Closing Wednesday 1 December 2021