Associate Building Physics and Sustainability Engineer
Job Location: Adelaide
Employer: Inhabit Group
Inhabit is a specialist consultancy focused on the design and advancement of the built environment. We are committed to making positive impact at global scale with human experience central to our activities. Our solutions-led approach provides Inhabit opportunities to work as creative design partners with acknowledged industry leaders in Architecture, Engineering and Sustainable Design from concept to completion. Our respective areas of expertise can be integrated to allow seamless interdisciplinary synergy to create buildings that are more relevant to our evolving society.
An exciting opportunity based in Adelaide is available for an experienced, creative, and motivated Associate Building Physics and Sustainability Engineer to become part of the team. You will be collaborating with the best in the business, building on your specialised technical knowledge whilst working on the design of some of the most exciting projects in Australia and internationally.
The team is undergoing rapid growth over the next 6 to 12 months and we are looking for key people to be part of the next phase of our team development.
The Inhabit Building Physics and Sustainability team is internationally distributed across Australia and Asia. The team is location independent, enabling access to projects across Australia, Asia, and Europe from any location. We uniquely work across all stages of the project lifecycle, from business case and advisory to sustainability and carbon strategy to detailed modelling, construction, and post-occupancy. This means that we have a focus on real-world results rather than the hypothetical targets seen in other parts of the sustainability industry.
All our team members are encouraged to develop into engineers with capabilities across our entire skillset. This is achieved through a spirit of support and growth – we challenge ourselves to grow our technical excellence and consulting skills and closely support each other to do so.
Some of our recent Australian projects include:
- Monash University Woodside Building for Technology and Design, Melbourne
- New Performing Art Venue (NPAV) at the Queensland Performing Arts Centre (QPAC), Brisbane
- Rhodes Central, Sydney
- Chadstone Hotel, Melbourne
If this interests you, we are seeking someone who:
- Has an appetite for learning new skills and a proven ability to manage delivery of multiple projects
- Is motivated by progressive thinking to find creative solutions
- Has the growth mindset to grow and scale the business to the next level
- Is curious and wants to apply problem-solving to real-world applications
- Doesnâ€™t mind being out of their comfort zone and challenging themselves
- Is interested in continually refining their oral and written communication skills
- Understands the relationship between detail and the â€˜bigger pictureâ€™, and has an appreciation for both
- Can play a key role in driving the world to a more sustainable future and joining the dots between engineers and builders
- Has the ability to establish the framework, objectives and targets to manage a team to KPIs
This role includes:
- Leading, building and mentoring a small team of engineers who analyse, report, model and document projects
- Leading the delivery of excellent outcomes for our clients on matters relating to Building Physics (thermal, condensation, daylight, glare, etc.), Sustainable Design (Green Star, Passivhaus, etc.), and Sustainability Consulting (carbon strategies, business cases, etc.)
- Being the lead representative on projects, including site meetings, design workshops, site inspections and liaising with relevant stakeholders to meet client and project requirements
- Developing and maintain relationships with clients a project teams, such as developers, architects, main contractors, subcontractors and suppliers, project managers, etc.
- Managing client relationships and expectations
- Expand the Building Physics and Sustainability portfolio by assisting with business development and marketing
- Supporting graduates and junior team members across the team, including supervision and training
- Effective communication with clients, project teams, and colleagues, internationally
- A degree qualification in engineering is required, with mechanical engineering considered favourable
- Ideally 7+ years of experience in the Building Physics / ESD / Sustainability.
- Experience working within the Building Physics / ESD / Sustainability sector, preferably within a consulting environment
- Local experience working within the Australian market
- Sufficient technical background to understand performance challenges beyond a mechanical services brief, including fundamental engineering knowledge (e.g., heat transfer, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics)
- Relevant industry accreditation of one or more of the following:
- Certified Passive House Designer
- Green Star Accredited Professional
- WELL Accredited Professional
- NABERS Assessor
- Applicable NatHERS accreditation (FirstRate, Accurate or BERSPro as applicable) or BASIX accreditation
- A comprehensive understanding of the National Construction Code (NCC) Section J Energy building services design and strategies
- FaÃ§ade awareness and an ability to understand performance challenges beyond mechanical services brief
- Experience of successfully leading teams on complex projects
- The ability to liaise with clients of varying backgrounds
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to deal with both internal and external customers
- Appetite to own the growth of the Building Physics practice
- Experience in one or more of Green Star/WELL/NABERS consulting, Living Building Challenge consulting, Passivhaus design and construction, delivery and implementation of carbon strategies, and project sustainability strategies.
- Experience in one or more of building energy modelling, parametric modelling using Rhino/Grasshopper, hygrothermal engineering (WUFI, THERM + LBNL family), CFD modelling using OpenFoam and Linux architecture
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to deal with both internal and external customers (including international clients)
- Ability to generate new work from new and existing clients
- Appetite to own the growth of the Building Physics practice
What We Offer
- A wide variety of technically interesting projects across Australia and internationally
- A chance to be a part of and steer the growth of a discipline
- Excellent mentorship and career progression opportunities with future global career prospects
- Be rewarded for your enthusiasm, commitment, dedication, and loyalty
- Ongoing learning, access to training and development
- Company Parental leave and Purchased leave
- An Employee Assistance Program available to staff, family and household members
- Staff events
Please upload your cover letter and CV and any other documents that you think will set you apart to our careers portal.
We will be excited to meet with you if your skills and experience are aligned with ours.
Inhabit is a part of the Egis group of companies. To learn more visit https://inhabitgroup.com/an-egis-company/ [link removed]
Please no agencies